JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - The fair is here! And with the fair comes some of the most delicious, delectable, tasty (and unHEALTHY) foods out there. But do you really know what you're taking a bite into?
Wednesday night we roamed the midway and asked fair patrons about some of theif favorite fair foods. Most were not surprised at the calories and fat grams in their favorites, and most really didn't seem to care. One thing we heard over and over again was that the fair only comes once a year. Some even said, the calories don't count at the fair.
For more on what fair goers had to say about fatty fair foods click the video link above the picture on this story.
So what about your favorite fair foods, check out these stats:
Fried 5 oz Snickers: 444 Calories and 29 grams of fat
Fried 2 oz Twinkie: 420 Calories and 34 grams of fat
Funnel Cake (1): 760 Calories and 44 grams of fat
Cotton Candy: 171 Calories and 0 grams of fat
Foot-long hot dog and bun: 470 calories and 26 grams of fat
Giant turkey leg: 1,136 calories and 54 grams of fat!
Basically everything here, with the exception of cotton candy, will take up 1/3 to 1/2 of your daily fat gram intake. The average 30 year old man needs to consume about 80 grams of fat a day (I've included a link for you to calculate how much you should eat a day).
Cotton candy, however, wasn't that bad. It contains no fat but a lot of sugar.
Still, the fair is about having fun and cheating on that diet a little! So to help, here are a few tips the experts offer to help minimize the damage:
- Don't arrive hungry. Eat before you go so you can limit your food to a few treats instead of grazing on food all day long.
- Go early in the morning, when you may be less likely to be enticed by the aromas of food.
- Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated, especially when the weather is hot.
- Check out all the offerings first, then choose three items over the course of the day.
- Ask for an extra plate and share your food choices.