MIAMI (AP) - A federal jury in Miami says it's nearing a deadlock over whether a second man should be convicted in the shooting deaths of 4 people last year aboard the "Joe Cool" fishing charter boat. The judge told jurors today to continue deliberating tomorrow.
The jurors wrote in a note to U.S. District Judge Paul Huck that they have little hope of coming to an agreement in the trial of 20-year-old Guillermo Zarabozo, charged along with former Arkansan Kirby Archer.
Prosecutors said Zarabozo and the 36-year-old Archer booked the "Joe Cool" for a phony trip to the Bahamas on Sept. 22, 2007, but intended to hijack it to Cuba. The boat's captain, his wife and two crew members were shot to death and dumped into the ocean. Zarabozo blamed Archer for hatching the plot and for killing the crew. Archer pleaded guilty to the killings in July.