Emergency Text Alert
Learn more at
While in the nation's capital, we want to make sure visitors and residents are prepared for all hazards. To receive emergency text alerts about transportation, weather, and other hazards, sign up for
Alert DC provides real-time alerts to any text-capable device. Those wishing to receive alerts only during the Inauguration period (January 15-22) can do so by checking "Inaugural Alerts" on the registration page.
You can help protect yourself and your family by being aware of your surroundings wherever you go.
- Keep an eye out for suspicious or unattended bags or people acting strangely.
- Immediately report unusual behavior, suspicious or unattended packages, and strange devices to (202) 727-9099.
- Never accept packages or other items from strangers.
- If you feel uncomfortable, or if something seems wrong, don't hesitate to leave the area.
- Know where the nearest emergency exits are.
According to the National Weather Service, the normal high temperature during the Inauguration is in the low to mid 40s and the normal low temperatures is in the mid to upper 20s. Be prepared for cold weather and take the following protective actions.
In general, if you are experiencing extremely cold conditions you should: