New Year, New Leadership in County and City - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Jonesboro, AR -- Brandi Hodges Reports

New Year, New Leadership in County and City

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) -- New Jonesboro Mayor Harold Perrin was sworn in at a ceremony New Year's morning and starts his new job on the first day of 2009.

Judges, city aldermen, even sheriff's deputies were also sworn in at a ceremony that means a lot to everyone involved.

"This is one of those things that is fun and I think it's an important time and I think its time that we as a country realize that this is a peaceful change in our county and city government," said Circuit Judge Larry Boling.

A swearing in ceremony held New Year's Day is the transfer of power for many county and city offices.

"I'm Lake City City Council," said Brenda Hutcheson.

Hutcheson is one of many who are taking the oath.

"I wanted to be a help to my community to help serve my neighbors and my friends in a way I thought I could do," said Hutcheson.

This ceremony also makes it official for Jonesboro's new mayor, Harold Perrin, who said he's been looking forward to this day.

"I was kind of excited.  I wanted to make sure that I did it properly," said Perrin.

"It's exciting to think you can be a part of something big, even if you're small," said Hutcheson.

Regardless of what office each person is taking across the county, every position is important.

"It's great for the public to remember that we do have elections and we do have a peaceful change in leadership," said Judge Boling.

"I hope that everyone took the oath to heart and they will serve in a way that it is designed to do so," said Hutcheson.

Newport police investigates vehicle vandalism

Thursday, December 14 2017 11:02 PM EST2017-12-15 04:02:25 GMT
    Friday, December 15 2017 9:19 AM EST2017-12-15 14:19:38 GMT
    Newport police Lt. Allen Edwards spoke Thursday about vandalism of vehicles along Malcolm Avenue in Newport. (Source: KAIT)Newport police Lt. Allen Edwards spoke Thursday about vandalism of vehicles along Malcolm Avenue in Newport. (Source: KAIT)

Vehicles driving along Malcolm Avenue in Newport are in the line of fire as juveniles have been suspected of throwing rocks and causing damage. That is according to Newport police.

Malls in state of change, real estate developer says

Thursday, December 14 2017 9:20 PM EST2017-12-15 02:20:08 GMT
    Friday, December 15 2017 9:12 AM EST2017-12-15 14:12:29 GMT
    The Mall at Turtle Creek (Source: KAIT)The Mall at Turtle Creek (Source: KAIT)

The business of shopping is changing, a local commercial real estate official said, noting it is a trend that is being seen and felt around the country.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Thursday, December 14 2017 10:45 PM EST2017-12-15 03:45:44 GMT
    Friday, December 15 2017 9:09 AM EST2017-12-15 14:09:54 GMT
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe (Source: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Website)Sister Rosetta Tharpe (Source: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Website)

A guitarist and singer from Cotton Plant, who served as a role model for several area musicians who later became famous, was recently nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.