Special Youth Turkey Hunt
Zone 17: March 28-29, 2009
Zones 1, 2, 3, 4, 4A, 4B, 5, 5A, 5B, 6, 7, 7A, 8, 9, 9, 9A and 10: April 4-5, 2009
Zone 1A: Closed
Only hunters under 16 may hunt turkey during these days. Youths who have completed a Hunter Education Course must be accompanied by a mentor who is 18 or older. Youths who have not completed a Hunter Education Course must be under the direct supervision of a mentor who is 21 or older. Turkeys taken during the youth hunt count toward the youth's spring bag limit and must follow all statewide bag limit requirements.
2009 Spring Turkey Season Dates
Zones 1, 2, 3, 4B, 5, 5B, 6, 7, 7A, 8, 9 and 10: April 11-May 1
Zones 4, 4A, 5A and 9A: April 11-24
Zone 1A: Closed
Zone 17: April 4-26
Spring Turkey Bag Limit
No more than one turkey may be taken per day.
A hunter may take two bearded turkeys during the spring season, which may include only one jake.
The seasonal bag limit may be:
- Two adult gobblers; or
- One jake and one adult gobbler; or
- One jake and one bearded hen; or
- One adult gobbler and one bearded hen; or
- Two bearded hens.
- Only one of these turkeys may be taken in each the following zones: Zones 4, 4A, 5A, 9A
2008-09 Archery / Crossbow (All Zones) - October 1, 2008-February 28, 2009 - Limit one turkey of either sex.
Wild turkeys may not be hunted over bait. An area is considered baited for 10 days following removal of the bait.
Shotguns (10 gauge or smaller) or archery equipment may be used during firearms turkey season. The use of modern rifles or pistols; muzzleloading rifles or pistols, shotguns larger than 10 gauge; or shot larger than No. 2 common shot including duplex loads, is prohibited.
Special Turkey Regulations
- Turkeys may not be hunted with the use of traps, snares, nets, hooks, explosives, dogs, live decoys, mechanical or electrical callers or from a boat.• Releasing domestically reared turkeys into the wild is illegal.
- Capturing wild turkeys or collecting their eggs is illegal.
- Turkeys may not be taken from 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.
- During youth turkey hunts, coyote and bobcat hunting is open only to youth hunters.
- It is illegal to take or attempt to take turkey while in possession of mechanical or electrical callers.
Spring Turkey Quota And Youth Hunt Permits
Quota and Youth Hunt Permits
Quota and youth permit hunts are held on several wildlife management areas. The purposes of these hunts are to better manage turkey populations, improve hunt quality by preventing overcrowding and provide high quality hunting opportunities for youngsters.
Limit is one legal turkey for quota and youth permit hunts. This is not a bonus turkey; it counts as part of the season bag limit. Only permit holders will be allowed to engage in any hunting-related activity on these areas during quota permit hunts. Additional instructions are printed on the permit. If drawn, there is a $10 processing fee.