Officers cleared in fatal shooting

Officers cleared in fatal shooting
Multiple Jonesboro police officers responded to a shots fired call on Curtview. (Source: KAIT)

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - The district prosecuting attorney says two officers involved in a fatal shooting acted in self-defense and have been cleared of any wrongdoing.

Sally Smith, public information specialist for the Jonesboro Police Department, said Tuesday that Officers Brian Bailey and Chris Jefferson were cleared in the shooting death of Rodney Fisher earlier this month on Curtview.

Fisher was wanted in connection with the shooting death of David Marshall.

Police had been looking for him when they received a phone call from a property manager about suspected drug activity in the area Race and Curtview.

During their search of the area, Bailey and Jefferson found Marshall’s roommate, Nichole Herndon. She had been reported missing since the earlier homicide.

As they approached her and Fisher, according to police, Fisher pulled a handgun on the officers. Bailey and Jefferson fired back, striking Fisher.

He was taken to a local hospital where he later died.

Following the shooting, the Arkansas State Police Criminal Investigation conducted an officer-involved shooting investigation which included a search of the Curtview property, according to a news release from Prosecuting Attorney Scott Ellington.

The search uncovered spent shell casings and the .45-caliber weapon that Fisher was holding.

The patrol officers’ body cameras also recorded the shooting. The video, according to the prosecutor, was consistent with the officers’ and witness statements.

"The officers tried to deescalate the situation, and tried to get Fisher to drop his weapon to no avail,” Ellington said. “They had every reason to believe that he would use the pistol he held, and when Fisher raised the pistol toward the officers, they acted in defense of their lives, and fired their weapons in self-defense.”

Ellington concluded by saying the officers would not face prosecution. However, he said the matter will remain an “open investigation” until all evidence from the state crime lab, including autopsy and toxicology report, have been completed and filed.

Copyright 2019 KAIT. All rights reserved.