NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KAIT) - It’s a homecoming for pitcher Tyler Zuber. The Arkansas State alum returned to central Arkansas for the first time as a professional.
“Grew up 30 minutes from here,” the White Hall native said. "So now I’m playing here as a professional, and now these people that haven’t got to see me play you know in 7 years now can finally come see me play again. So it feels like another home game for me. "
The third year pro is climbing the ranks of the Kansas City Royals organization and has a felt a good sense of progression over the last couple of seasons.
“Like realizing like you know as you get older and as you go up in the ladder, the hitters have a better approach, they have a more mature approach. You have to mature as a pitcher. You have to be more mindful with like how you’re pitching and how you’re going about your things. It’s more of a professional standpoint. The higher up you go you’re treated more like closer to a big leaguer. So just trying to have that professional mindset, professional approach whenever you take the mound.”
Zuber is just one of a handful of Red Wolves working their way through the minors.
“I’ve taken a lot of pride. You know being an Arkansas State grad and playing there for four years, I think we have what four big leaguers. You know, I’m trying to be the next big leaguer for Arkansas State. They gave me the opportunity in 2013 to play ball for them, and so you know I’m going to cherish it.”
And like every player down on the farm, the ultimate goal is the same. To get the call to The Show.
“It’s definitely become a realization that you know the big leagues is right there. You see a lot of guys get the call from AA to the big leagues, so you know I’m excited and you know just trying to work hard everyday and try to put myself in a good situation. I’m not settling where I’m at. You know the goal is obviously to be in Kansas City and to play there for awhile, so you know it’s just another small stepping stone.”
Red Wolves Road To The Show - 7/10/19
- Recorded 3rd AA save Tuesday night. Struck out two
- 14 saves in 17 opportunities this season with NW Arkansas & Wilmington Blue Rocks (A Advanced).
- 1.43 ERA & 47 strikeouts this season.
- 11.2 scoreless inning streak from April 26th to May 20th (8 total appearances)
- Hitting .220 with 3 HR and 18 RBI with Winston Salem Dash (A Advanced). Played in 45 games this season.
- RBI single on July 9th along with a two-run single on July 7th.
- Hit first career grand slam on April 20th
- Hitting .182 with 2 HR, & 9 RBIs for Bowie and Frederick Keys (A Advanced). Played in 32 games this season.
- Hit solo home run for Bowie Baysox (AA) on July 6th.
- Promoted to Bowie on June 17th
- Played 3 games in 2018 with Norfolk (AAA)
- Hit first professional home run on July 4th
- 4 RBI in first 4 games
- Selected by Yankees in 27th Round of 2019 MLB Draft
- 3.26 ERA in 4 starts with Clinton LumberKings (A). Placed on injured list on May 2nd
- Tossed first quality start of 2019 on April 25th: 6.0 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 6 K
- Selected in 8th Round of 2018 MLB Draft
Copyright 2019 KAIT. All rights reserved.