TRUMANN, Ark. (KAIT) -Region 8 is a farming community and emergency responders work to be prepared for any situation.
A news release issued by Nationwide said they have awarded grain bin rescue tubes and training to 34 fire departments across the country, one of them the Trumann Fire Department.
Trumann Assistant Fire Chief Richard Mabe said tools like this are about being prepared.
“For us, we haven’t had many grain bin accidents,” Mabe said. “But it’s good to have something like this if you need it. It’s about being prepared.”
Trumann Fire Department Captain Rodney Knuckles has been with TFD for nine years.
Knuckles said they were all thrilled to be getting the equipment.
“We’re all very excited,” Knuckles said. “This is going to be a very essential tool for us. We’re the only full-time fire department in Poinsett County. So, somebody is always here. So, whether it be Harrisburg or Marked Tree or anybody calls for help, we’ll be able to take it to them.”
Mabe said this won’t be used for the Trumann community alone. He said they’ll answer the call wherever they’re needed.
“If needed, we can load ours up to go and help another community,” Mabe said. “We can be a part of mutual aide. Time is valuable when you’re dealing with an emergency.”
“With all emergencies, whether it’s a house fire,” Knuckles said. “A vehicle entrapment or anything else, time is always against you. So, by us having this and being centrally located in the county it’s going to be a huge asset. Not only for us, but for the entire county.”
Mabe said they were thrilled when they learned they would be one of the recipients.
“We were honored when we got the call,” Mabe said. “To receive a tool like this free of charge. It’s valuable to our community and others that might need it.”
Knuckles said the tool will help give them the time they need to save the person trapped.
“All the grains in a grain bin, no matter what they are, are like quicksand,” Knuckles said. “So, if a worker gets in there, the more he struggles and pulls the deeper he is going to sink in this grain. What this equipment does is the tube goes around the person and slows down the process of them sinking. Then we’re able to get harnesses and ropes and actually get them out. Eventually, it’ll pull them out all the way to the top.”
According to researchers at Purdue University, more than 900 cases of grain engulfment have been reported with a fatality rate of 62 percent over the last 50 years.
Since 2014, this contest has pulled in over 3,000 nominations and awarded rescue tubes to 111 fire departments.
Other recipients are:
- Flemington-Raritan First Aid & Rescue Squad – Flemington, N.J.
- Harrington Volunteer Fire Company – Harrington, Del.
- Landisburg Fire Company - Landisburg, Pa.
- New Centerville & Rural Volunteer Fire – Rockwood, Pa.
- Dauntless Fire Company – Ebensburg, Pa.
- Ontario County Rope Rescue Team – Canadaigua, N.Y.
- Fancher Hulberton Murray – Albion, N.Y.
- Carthage Fire Department – Lake Preston, S.D.
- Clear Lake Fire Department – Clear Lake, Wis.
- Amery Fire Department – Amery, Wis.
- Elsie Area Fire Department – Elsie, Mich.
- Greenville Township Emergency Services – Apple Creek, Ohio
- Hartford Fire Department – Croton, Ohio
- Wauseon Fire Department – Wauseon, Ohio
- Barlow Volunteer Fire Department – Vincent, Ohio
- Rowley Fire Department– Rowley, Iowa
- Welcome Fire Dept – Welcome, Minn.
- Nashville Fire Protection District – Nashville, Ill.
- Schlater Volunteer Fire Department – Schlater, Miss.
- Collins Fire Department – Collins, Miss.
- Haywood Volunteer Fire Department – Glasgow, Ky.
- Anthony Volunteer Fire Department – Anthony, Kan.
- Deer Creek Volunteer Fire Department – Deer Creek, Okla.
- Cloud Chief Fire Department – New Cordell, Okla.
- City of Goodland Fire Department – Goodland, Kan.
- Eolia Community Fire Protection District – Eolia, Mo.
- Westran Fire and Rescue – Huntsville, Mo.
- Versailles Rural Fire Protection District – Versailles, Mo.
- Liberal Rural Fire Department – Liberal, Mo.
- Bourbon County Fire District – Uniontown, Kan.
- Central Platte Fire Protection District – Platte City, Mo.
- Town of Winchester Fire Department – Larsen, Wis.
- United Hook and Ladder Company33 – New Oxford, Pa.
Mabe said they would begin training when the tool arrives in August.