Funding for proposed MLK education trail topic of discussion for special called council meeting

Funding for proposed MLK education trail topic of discussion for special called council meeting

JONESBORO, Ark. (KAIT) - Tuesday, the Jonesboro City Council voted “yes” for the city to apply for a federal grant through the Arkansas Department of Transportation.

Through this grant, funds could be made available to help bring the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Education Trail to life.

The special-called meeting was called just a little under 24 hours before the application for the Recreational Trails Program is due on July 1.

The proposed trail would cost an estimated $404,360 to construct. The city would be required to pay 20% of the cost (estimated at $80,872), while the federal grant would cover the remaining 80%, which would be reimbursed once the construction is complete.

As of now, the actual trail which is funded by a TAP grant will start at the corner of the municipal center on Creath Ave. and go down for half a mile and make a right on Patrick Street, all the way to the E. Boone Watson Community Center.

The plans attached to the Jonesboro City Council agenda would include four monuments with King quotes, a wrap-around wooden bench seat with built-in tables, landscaping, and more.

One city official says once logistics are worked out, this will be a site to see.

“It will be an awesome, awesome site for the city of Jonesboro, Arkansas. I really think we will have other people come to visit, once it’s up and going. I think it will be a big tourism attraction for this area of the state,” Director of Community Development and Grants, Regina Burkett said.

Burkett says the city will not hear back if it approved until later this Fall.

Region 8 News will be sure to bring you the latest on that approval and what’s next.

Copyright 2020 KAIT. All rights reserved.