‘We are gonna die’: Man suspected of abducting child held on $1 million bond

Child "doing well" following release from hospital

Man suspected of abducting child held on $1 million bond

JONESBORO, Ark. (KAIT) - A Jonesboro man suspected of abducting a child Tuesday afternoon then leading police on a chase that ended in a crash in another county is now behind bars.

Bennie Irving Hancock, 37, of Jonesboro is being held on a $1 million temporary bond awaiting his first appearance in district court next week on a charge of kidnapping.

He’s accused of abducting a child from a home on North Rogers Tuesday, June 30, according to the initial incident report.

Arrest made in kidnapping, suspect and child taken to hospitals

After taking the child, police said Hancock fled the scene in a GMC Yukon headed south on Highway 1.

According to a post on the Jonesboro Police Department Facebook page, police released further details Wednesday.

Bennie Hancock, 37 years old of Jonesboro, was arrested yesterday afternoon after a three-county pursuit that led to...

Posted by Jonesboro Police Department on Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Several law enforcement agencies assisted JPD in the search for the vehicle.

The Yukon was spotted in Cross County and a chase ensued.

During the pursuit, according to the incident report, police spoke with Hancock on the phone and urged him to pull over and speak with an officer.

“[Hancock] advised that he was not going to stop and that he was not going back to jail,” Officer Tyler D. Williams stated in the report.

Williams said he pleaded with Hancock to stop and speak to officers because they knew he had a child in the vehicle.

“[Hancock] advised multiple times that he was going to die today, and then he began saying ‘We are gonna die’ in reference to the child,” the report stated. “{Hancock] referenced himself and [the child] dying today multiple times before he hung up the phone on me.”

The police chase ended shortly afterward when Hancock crashed his SUV.

Both he and the victim suffered injuries.

Hancock was taken to CrossRidge Community Hospital in Wynne where he was treated and released back into police custody.

The child was airlifted to Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis. Smith said Wednesday that the child had been released and was “doing well.”

Region 8 News will continue to follow this story and provide new details as they become available.

Copyright 2020 KAIT. All rights reserved.