Names released in deadly plane crash

An eyewitness said he could “hear something wrong with the plane’s engine” as it passed

Names released in deadly plane crash

POINSETT COUNTY, Ark. (KAIT) - Poinsett County Sheriff Kevin Molder releases the names of the two people killed in a Monday plane crash.

The pilot Sean Wesley Stem, 52, and passenger Nickoles Lee Warren, 41, both of Jonesboro, died in the crash.

The dispatch center received a call that a plane had gone down in the northwestern part of the county around 9:44 a.m., Jan. 4, Molder said.

Multiple agencies responded to the scene where they found a twin-engine plane in a field off Flag Slough Lane between Grubbs and Weiner.

“The response was amazing as far as the emergency responders. They came and we were able to get here quickly. They responded to the scene and were a big help to us while we were investigating the scene,” said Molder.

Molder said the bodies have been sent to the Arkansas State Medical Examiner’s Office in Little Rock and the victims’ families have been notified.

“They are in our prayers,” he added.

The Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board have also both been notified, he said.

“The FAA will identify the aircraft type when investigators locate the identification plate,” said Elizabeth Isham Cory, public affairs specialist for the FAA. “Local authorities will release the names and medical conditions of the aircraft’s occupants.”

She said the FAA and NTSB will investigate the cause of the crash, with the NTSB providing updates as they become available.

According to the FAA’s preliminary accident and incident report, the Beechcraft G58 was still in its takeoff phase from Jonesboro when it “crashed under unknown circumstances and caught fire.” The pilot and one passenger perished.

Brock Davis was hunting in the area when he saw the plane having issues.

“I was in the duck woods hunting and there was a, what I thought was a single prop plane, going really low over the trees and it sounded like it was too low and it was really loud,” he said. “Something was wrong with one of the engines. Thirty seconds later, I couldn’t see it anymore I heard it, disappear, and saw black smoke billowing for 10 or 15 minutes.”

“You know, I would just like to say, pray for the family and the people affected. It was a very sad deal and I hope you know that safety, new safety precautions come from this.”

Copyright 2021 KAIT. All rights reserved.