Advertisement

Weekly Flu Report: ADH releases information on flu season

The Arkansas Department of Health tracks flu cases each week with a report that shows...
The Arkansas Department of Health tracks flu cases each week with a report that shows everything from deaths to school absenteeism due to students being sick.(Veronica Ogbe)
Published: Jan. 26, 2022 at 4:23 PM CST|Updated: May. 18, 2022 at 6:26 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KAIT) - The Arkansas Department of Health tracks flu cases each week with a report that shows everything from deaths to school absenteeism.

On Wednesday, May 17, the ADH reported Arkansas is in a minimal range for flu illnesses with 14,558 positive influenza tests reported to the ADH online database by healthcare providers since the flu season began on Sept. 27, 2021.

Among flu antigen tests, 90% of cases were influenza A, while the remaining 10% were influenza B.

As of Saturday, May 14, the ADH reported:

  • 24 influenza-related deaths this season (+0)
  • The average school absenteeism rate is 7.1% (+0.3%)
  • 5 flu-related hospital admissions for the week, now 375 for the season
  • 1 nursing home reported an influenza outbreak this season.

School absenteeism

The weekly report also provides a list of counties and the percentage of students absent for the week due to the flu.

CountiesPercentage of students absent
Baxter6.11%
Clay3.97%
Cleburne5.96%
Craighead10.04%
Crittenden10.14%
Cross10%
Greene7.55%
Independence5.65%
Jackson11.28%
Lawrence6.69%
Mississippi9.63%
Poinsett8.08%
Randolph6.94%
St. Francis7.45%
Sharp5.71%
Stone4.98%
White6.3%
Woodruff6.16%

According to the ADH flu website, flu shots are available at each local health unit around the state. There is no out-of-pocket expense at the health units, but people are encouraged to bring their insurance cards.

Copyright 2022 KAIT. All rights reserved.