Several hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak at Eureka Springs, Ark. hotel
EUREKA SPRINGS, Ark. (KY3) - Several people are hospitalized after a carbon monoxide leak at a hotel in Eureka Springs Saturday morning.
Eureka Springs Fire Department says the call came in just before 7 a.m. Saturday to the Stonegate Lodge. First responders evaluated to 24 people at the lodge. They transported 10 of them to the hospital. They airlifted four of them to a hospital with serious injuries.
“We flew some of the patients the more severe patients were because some facilities have hyperbolic chambers that can purge the body of the carbon monoxide quicker than then it would just happen naturally,” said Gary Inman, Asst. Chief Eureka Springs Fire Department.
The Eureka Springs Police Department confirmed it was a carbon monoxide leak. Officials say the fire marshall is working with Black Hills energy to determine the cause of the gas leak.
Inman says that this is not something that happens frequently.
”It’s very unusual because most gas-related systems are very safe and reliable,” said Inman. ”It’s nothing to fool around with and it can be very dangerous.”
KY3 spoke with the owner of Stonegate Lodge who did not wish to go on camera until the investigation is over.
To report a correction or typo, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright 2022 KY3. All rights reserved.