Shooting suspect on the run after walking away from court hearing

Published: Nov. 29, 2022 at 6:23 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

JONESBORO, Ark. (KAIT) – A Jonesboro man charged with shooting a man in 2019 and killing a dog is on the run after he ‘walked away’ from a court hearing Tuesday.

According to the Jonesboro Police Department, Airreo Trayshawn Johnson, was in court for the 2019 shooting incident on State Street when he left the court proceedings.

Jonesboro Police said it used its network of cameras to track Johnson but were unable to locate him. The department said his last known location was southbound on Airport Road late in the afternoon on Nov 29.

Johnson was arrested in 2020 during a traffic stop, in which officers found a stolen firearm under the seat where Johnson was sitting.

Johnson is charged with first-degree battery/manifesting extreme indifference that causes serious physical harm, along with theft by receiving firearm less than $2,500.

Johnson is one of three people charged for the crime.

Johnson was scheduled to make a court appearance on November 29 and according to Craighead County Chief Deputy Sheriff Justin Rolland, he made it to the courthouse with his family.

Rolland said Johnson was not in custody at the time.

“He had already been previously arrested, formerly arraigned, posted bond and was out on bond. He was a free man at that time,” he said.

It wasn’t a trial appearance, but the jury selection was taking place… Rolland said there were about 100 people there and while police was there, Johnson was free to walk in and out of the building.

“It would not have alerted anyone for him to even walk out into the parking lot at that point because like I said, he was free to come and go at that particular moment because the trial hadn’t started,” Rolland said.

Rolland said Johnson’s personal decisions have consequences and that’s what is taking place.

“He is being sought now because he failed to appear. So, he did not appear for that court date, for his trial date. He failed to appear on that date so yes, he is being sought at this time,” he said.

Johnson’s choice of walking away won’t change the way authorities work in the courthouse going forward.

“This is not going to change our way of operation or change any policy or how we move forward from this. Like I said, this was just a personal decision that he made already being out on bond waiting for trial,” Roland said.

Johnson’s last known location was southbound on Airport Rd. on November 29. Anyone who knows his whereabout is encouraged to call the police.