Arkansas State football adds FBS transfers & HS talent to 2023 recruiting class
JONESBORO, Ark. (KAIT) - There are more contenders in the Red Wolves starting quarterback race.
Colorado transfer J.T. Shrout and California high school standout Christian Hunt signed with Arkansas State Wednesday morning. February 1st marks the start of the 2nd signing period for college football.
Corey Rucker is returning to Jonesboro. The wide receiver was a Freshman All-American for the Red Wolves in 2021 and suited up for South Carolina in 2022.
A-State added more depth on defense. Coastal Carolina defensive back Manny Stokes, Kansas linebacker Gavin Potter, and Incarnate Word defensive back Donte Thompson signed with the Red Wolves.
“Kind of an uneventful second signing day, but again when I look at the overall signing class, really, really excited about this class,” head coach Butch Jones said.
The class grades pretty highly, both in the Sun Belt and as it relates to previous A-State classes. As of signing day, Arkansas State ranks first in the Sun Belt on 247Sports (74th nationally) and second on Rivals (76) and On3 (84). 247Sports ranks this class as the second-best recruiting class in program history, only behind the 2022 group.
As it stands, there are 23 high school commits, the most at A-State since 2006, and 15 are already on campus. 20 players make up the offense, 14 on defense and 2 specialists.
There are 15 states represented in the class, Florida is top of the list with 8 from the Sunshine State joining the Red Wolves.
The 2023 Red Wolves recruiting class includes 5 in-state signees: DeAndra Burns (El Dorado), Walker Davis (Benton), Brandon Greil (Joe T. Robinson), Cedric Hawkins (Stuttgart) and RB Zak Wallace (UT-Martin, Benton). That is the most from any A-State class since 2015.
There’s a pipeline from Oxford to Jonesboro. Ole Miss offensive linemen Tobias Braun (sophomore), Hamilton Hall (grad transfer), and Jalen Cunningham have all signed with Arkansas State.
FCS standouts Zak Wallace (UT Martin) and Jacob Bayer (Lamar) also put pen to paper with the Red Wolves.
Arkansas State Football - 2023 Recruiting Class (Italics for signees)
- WR Corey Rucker (South Carolina)
- QB Christian Hunt (Redondo Union - CA)
- CB Manny Stokes (Coastal Carolina)
- CB Donte Thompson (Incarnate Word)
- K Clune Van Andel (Forrest Hills Eastern - MI)
- LS Lucas Ott (Webb City - MO)
- OL Jacob Bayer (Lamar)
- OL Jalen Cunningham (Ole Miss)
- OL Hamilton Hall (Ole Miss)
- OL Tobias Braun (Ole Miss)
- WR Courtney Jackson (Syracuse)
- DL Micah Bland (North Alabama)
- TE Kevin Diaz (Northwest Mississippi CC)
- CB DeAubry Hood (Harker Heights - TX)
- S Dontay Joyner (Lakeland - FL)
- WR Takare Lipscomb (Carrollton - GA)
- TE Tyler Little (Galena - KS)
- WR Clyde Curry (Gadsden City - AL)
- S Jordan Sample (Missouri City - TX)
- S Brandon Greil (Joe T. Robinson)
- WR Tennel Bryant (Archbishop Moeller - OH)
- WR Chauncy Cobb (Clewiston - FL)
- LB RJ Kelly (Lakeland - FL)
- DL Ian Jeffries (Southaven - MS)
- DE Brian Alston (Spain Park - AL)
- S Jamil Williams (Palmetto - FL)
- QB Jaylen Raynor (East Forsyth - NC)
- DE/OLB Terrell James (Lake Wales - FL)
- RB Cedric Hawkins (Stuttgart)
- WR DeAndra Burns (El Dorado)
- DE Timothy Gulley (Pensacola Christian - FL)
- WR Pearce Russell (Benton - LA)
- DE/LB Antanius Tiggs (Marion)
- QB Cade Forrester (Hoxie)
- CB Blake Hegwood (Pine Bluff)
- WR Reed Linder (Briarcrest Christian - TN)
- LB Joel Ardern (Timberview - TX)
- WR Carter Salzman (Platte County - TX)
Copyright 2022 KAIT. All rights reserved.