Suspect arrested following hours-long standoff

Published: May. 28, 2023 at 2:16 PM CDT|Updated: May. 30, 2023 at 7:20 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

POINSETT Co., Ark. (KAIT) – A Poinsett County woman is in custody following a standoff with multiple agencies.

According to Poinsett County Sheriff Kevin Molder, the sheriff’s office was called to a home on Goad Lane in Harrisburg on Saturday, May 27, at 3:23 p.m.

The caller told law enforcement that 72-year-old Rose Ann Goad shot at their tractor.

While deputies were investigating, Goad called the Poinsett County 911 Center, stating she shot in the air and not at the complainant.

She also told law enforcement she had the means to protect herself and would do so if needed.

The department attempted to contact Goad at her house but was unsuccessful.

“She started calling us back with quick messages of get off my property, or I am going to shoot you. There was no negotiating, really, once the negotiations stopped. That is when we move to other options,” Lieutenant Ryan Price said.

After further investigation and consultation with the deputy prosecuting attorney, Molder said the sheriff’s office determined Goad should be arrested for aggravated assault.

A search warrant was then obtained for deputies to enter Goad’s house and arrest her since she would not answer the door for law enforcement.

Sheriff Molder said he and several deputies arrived at the house around 9:45 p.m. on Saturday to execute the search warrant.

While approaching the home door, deputies noticed Goad walking around the house with a “long gun” in her hands.

Deputies then backed off the house and began negotiations with Goad, which Sheriff Molder said went on for hours.

After some time, the Craighead County Sheriff’s Office and Arkansas State Police were called in to assist.

The negotiations continued into Sunday, May 28.

“We didn’t want to have to go in because we knew what the outcome of that would have been, so we thought the safest method was to put some CS gas in and force her out,” Price said.

After continuously refusing to leave the house, law enforcement used flash bangs to make their way inside and arrested her.

Goad was taken to the hospital to be treated for injuries. A probable cause hearing is set to take place at a later date.

Sheriff Molder said the incident is still under investigation, and more information will be released as it becomes available.