10 Central Arkansas children drink windshield wiper fluid

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - Hospital officials say 10 children drank windshield wiper fluid after a staffer at Arkansas daycare center mistook the liquid for Kool-Aid.

Laura James, a pediatric pharmacologist and toxicologist at Arkansas Children's Hospital, told The Associated Press that the daycare staffer put the windshield wiper fluid in a refrigerator on accident after a shopping trip. James says doctors estimate the children, ages 2 to 7, each drank about an ounce of the fluid before realizing what it was Thursday afternoon.

Hilary DeMillo, a hospital spokeswoman, says one child remained hospitalized Friday. James says the child had high levels of methanol in blood samples, which can cause blindness. Julie Munsell, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Human Services, says child welfare officials planned to visit the Scott community daycare Friday. Munsell did not know the name of the daycare.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)