Deductions you can and can't take on your taxes

By Brandi Hodges - bio | email

PARAGOULD, AR (KAIT) – It is tax time, again which means new tax laws with new allowable deductions.  Every year folks try to deduct some strange things.  Some of the questions and possible deductions people come in with range from child support to beauty products!

"We have a lot of people that get mad at us," said Liberty Tax Service owner Candy Robinson.

"After 15 years of this nothing surprises me," said Jackson Hewitt tax expert Cheryl Monette.

During tax season all of the questions come out!

"I still don't get all of it back.  I get some of it but not all of it," said Jack Cowell.

"You are eligible for deductions like your medical insurance premiums, doctor visits, and mileage to and from the doctor but not for a lot of other things you spend your money on.

"I actually had a lady who wanted to deduct her haircuts and the cost of her makeup and personal hygiene because she did own her own business she thought that should be a deduction," said Tina Sneed of H&R Block.

"One of the biggest things is their animals.  I have people come in and say I want to claim my dog or I want to claim my cat," said Monette.

That, like so many others is not a deduction.  Tina Sneed at H&R Block said there is a lot of confusion!

"The biggest misconception is earned income credit," said Sneed.

She said many times the non-custodial parent wants to claim their child but the IRS rules state the child has to live with you for more than six months before you are eligible for that deduction!  She said that parent is still eligible to claim the child for an exemption, child tax credit and child care credit.

"We actually get the book out and show them in black and white why they can't claim them," said Robinson.

All experts say they have folks who are unmarried but have children from previous relationships but only the biological parents can claim those children for the earned income credit.

"I don't make the laws, the IRS makes the laws, I just have to follow them," said Monette.

This year those who have received unemployment pay don't have to claim the first $2,400 dollars of that money as earned income.

©2009 KAIT All rights reserved.