Third arrest made in connection of football player's murder

Derrick Wade (Source: Jackson, TN Police Dept.)
Derrick Wade (Source: Jackson, TN Police Dept.)
Johnny Wade (Source: Jackson, TN Police Dept.)
Johnny Wade (Source: Jackson, TN Police Dept.)
Roddarous Bond (Source: WBBJ-TV)
Roddarous Bond (Source: WBBJ-TV)

JACKSON, TN  (KAIT) –A third man was arrested in the deaths of an Arkansas State University football player and his stepfather, according to police in Jackson, Tennessee.

According to television station WBBJ, Roddarous Bond, 19, was charged Sunday morning with attempted coercion of a witness. The station reported a witness in the case got phone calls from the Madison County Jail, but never answered.

WBBJ said investigators discovered Johnny Wade, charged with murder, knew the witness' phone number. Investigators also found Wade discussed the case with Bond, saying it could not continue without the witness.

Investigators listened in on a three-way phone call from the jail between Wade and Bond. It's reported that officers heard Wade ask Bond about the witness, who could not be found.

WBBJ reported police may add charges to Wade for his part in attempting to coerce a witness.

On January 18, investigators found Johnny Wade, age 19, of Jackson, TN in a Ripley, Tennessee home. He and Derrick Wade, age 22, of Jackson, Tennessee are in jail on a host of charges. Those charges include murder, attempted murder, aggravated assault and tampering with evidence following the deaths of Markel Owens and Johnny Shivers.

According to Jackson Police, Derrick Wade, 22 was arrested and a bond hearing will be held Saturday morning at Jackson City Court, a news release stated. Derrick Wade will be formally charged next week with murder.

According to police, Wade was treated at a hospital for a gunshot wound to the leg. Memphis police assisted Jackson police with the investigation. Police said they found Wade and a handgun at the home of a relative.

Markel Owens, a senior football player for ASU and his stepfather, Johnny Shivers, were shot during a home invasion at 770 Walker Road Wednesday night. According to police, two masked men entered Owens' home behind Shivers and his 16-year old son. Police said Shivers was shot, before Markel fought back to protect himself and his mother. Thursday, Jackson Police Captain Tyreece Miller called Markel a hero for saving his mother's life.

Wade is charged with murder of Markel Owens and Johnny Shivers, attempted murder of Chermaine Owens and aggravated assault of Shivers' son. When police arrived on scene, they found two people with gunshot wounds inside the home.

Investigators believe the two suspects knew Shivers and targeted him. They found a large amount of marijuana at the apartment where the shooting took place. The suspects got away with a large sum of cash.

Bond is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday at the Jackson City Court.

 Copyright 2014 KAIT. All rights reserved.