Daycare employees save choking toddler's life

Daycare employees save choking toddler's life
Nora eats a sweet treat at her daycare facility on Monday (Source: KAIT)
Nora eats a sweet treat at her daycare facility on Monday (Source: KAIT)
(Source: KAIT)
(Source: KAIT)

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - A Jonesboro child is alive after swift action by daycare employees at the cafeteria lunch table.

Toddler Nora Thompson, is a student at Discovery Island Learning Center in Jonesboro.

Friday, she choked on her turkey sandwich at lunch, and her mother praised the staff for their quick action.

"It was lodged so deep in there that she couldn't get anything out," said Annie Thompson, Nora's mom.

The two-year-old set next to her classmates eating a sandwich when her teacher noticed Nora's body language seemed off.

"She wasn't coughing, she wasn't holding her throat or gasping for air," said Jaclyn Richard, the center's director.

Richards told Region 8 News the team of employees immediately responded to Nora choking.

"They quickly grabbed her, flipped her over and started the Heimlich, and again just took charge and flipped her over and gave her another firm hit between her shoulder blades and everything at that point was ejected," said Richards.

Nora's mother praised the staff, saying they saved her daughter's life.

"I think it's a miracle and so thankful they are trained on how to take care of her and saved her," said Thompson. "As a mom, I think I would panic, and they didn't here."

Richards said the state of Arkansas requires a certain percentage of her staff to be CPR and First Aid certified; however, the center requires every staff member to be certified in both.

"This is why we practice those techniques," said Richards. "Because of them, we had a happy, happy result. It could have quickly not turned out that way."

Discovery Island Learning Center staff go through extensive training year-round to prepare for a number of different emergency situations.

Copyright 2018 KAIT. All rights reserved.