City to reprimand parks and rec director for social media commen - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

City to reprimand parks and rec director for social media comment

(Source: Facebook) (Source: Facebook)
JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) -

The City of Jonesboro responded to comments made on social media by Parks and Recreation Director Wixson Huffstetler.

According to Bill Campbell, public information officer, the city became aware of a comment Huffstetler made about the Black Lives Matter movement on the Interstate 40 bridge into Memphis.

Huffstetler wrote “And they wonder why they are profiled” in a post about the protest on the bridge. A viewer sent Region 8 News a screen grab of the post.

Huffstetler and Mayor Harold Perrin issued statements to Region 8 News:

“I made a serious mistake using social media, and I apologize to each and every resident of Jonesboro,” Huffstetler stated. “In a moment of frustration over the fact that a child could not get to medical attention because of a protest roadblock, I vented inappropriately and in a way that does not reflect my heart. In doing so, I hurt people I love, and offended many who don’t know me well and might not be willing to give me the benefit of the doubt. I apologize also to my staff in the Parks and Recreation Department and to Mayor Harold Perrin.”

“I am disappointed in the decision to post this comment on social media,” stated Mayor Perrin. “It contradicts the opinions and attitudes of the City of Jonesboro, and I will not abide any action, intended or unintended, that insults or damages our citizens. Appropriate action will be taken.”

Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Watch Region 8 News On Demand: On your Desktop | On your Mobile device

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android

Medicaid work mandate will create uncertainty in some states

Saturday, January 13 2018 11:01 AM EST2018-01-13 16:01:55 GMT
    Wednesday, January 17 2018 12:27 AM EST2018-01-17 05:27:00 GMT
    Several mostly Republican-leaning states are lining up to implement work or job-training requirements for certain Medicaid recipients now that the Trump administration has allowed it.

ADH: 150 people exposed to measles

Tuesday, January 16 2018 10:34 PM EST2018-01-17 03:34:37 GMT
    Tuesday, January 16 2018 11:39 PM EST2018-01-17 04:39:15 GMT
    (Source: Arkansas Department of Health via Twitter)(Source: Arkansas Department of Health via Twitter)

An estimate 150 people were exposed to the measles in the Little Rock area between January 9-11, 2018, according to a news release from the Arkansas Department of Health.

Canada native, A-State chancellor discusses making the call to cancel classes

Tuesday, January 16 2018 11:09 PM EST2018-01-17 04:09:50 GMT
    Tuesday, January 16 2018 11:18 PM EST2018-01-17 04:18:54 GMT

Arkansas State University was set to begin their spring semester on Tuesday, but students got to enjoy a snow day instead.