City to reprimand parks and rec director for social media commen - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

City to reprimand parks and rec director for social media comment

(Source: Facebook) (Source: Facebook)
JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) -

The City of Jonesboro responded to comments made on social media by Parks and Recreation Director Wixson Huffstetler.

According to Bill Campbell, public information officer, the city became aware of a comment Huffstetler made about the Black Lives Matter movement on the Interstate 40 bridge into Memphis.

Huffstetler wrote “And they wonder why they are profiled” in a post about the protest on the bridge. A viewer sent Region 8 News a screen grab of the post.

Huffstetler and Mayor Harold Perrin issued statements to Region 8 News:

“I made a serious mistake using social media, and I apologize to each and every resident of Jonesboro,” Huffstetler stated. “In a moment of frustration over the fact that a child could not get to medical attention because of a protest roadblock, I vented inappropriately and in a way that does not reflect my heart. In doing so, I hurt people I love, and offended many who don’t know me well and might not be willing to give me the benefit of the doubt. I apologize also to my staff in the Parks and Recreation Department and to Mayor Harold Perrin.”

“I am disappointed in the decision to post this comment on social media,” stated Mayor Perrin. “It contradicts the opinions and attitudes of the City of Jonesboro, and I will not abide any action, intended or unintended, that insults or damages our citizens. Appropriate action will be taken.”

Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Watch Region 8 News On Demand: On your Desktop | On your Mobile device

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android

Eight arrested in parole/probation searches in Poinsett County

Thursday, June 21 2018 6:03 PM EDT2018-06-21 22:03:23 GMT
    Thursday, June 21 2018 10:50 PM EDT2018-06-22 02:50:00 GMT

The searches, which were done by Poinsett County deputies and officers with the Arkansas Community Correction Department, were done in the Lepanto, Marked Tree and Payneway areas on June 20.

Local ball park association adding soccer league

Thursday, June 21 2018 9:11 PM EDT2018-06-22 01:11:32 GMT
    Thursday, June 21 2018 10:48 PM EDT2018-06-22 02:48:48 GMT
    Leachville Ball Park Association will offer soccer this year. (Source: KAIT-TV)Leachville Ball Park Association will offer soccer this year. (Source: KAIT-TV)

The Leachville Ball Park Association will now offer soccer for area kids.

The Leachville Ball Park Association will now offer soccer for area kids.

Employees of Skinny J's give back to Northeast Arkansas Humane Society

Thursday, June 21 2018 8:05 PM EDT2018-06-22 00:05:51 GMT
    Thursday, June 21 2018 10:45 PM EDT2018-06-22 02:45:08 GMT
    (Source: KAIT-TV)(Source: KAIT-TV)
    (Source: KAIT-TV)(Source: KAIT-TV)

An employee at a local business decided to help some four legged friends.

An employee at a local business decided to help some four legged friends.